***** Message from Executive Director, Molly Berns *****
Due to the COVID – 19 virus, the office of the Springfield-Sangamon County Regional Planning Commission is temporarily closed. The safety of our staff is a primary concern, and it is our hope that by following the social distancing directives outlined by local, state and federal officials, we will remain healthy.
All meetings organized and hosted by the SSCRPC staff are cancelled until April 3, 2020. We will be monitoring information that is available from public health officials on a daily basis, and make a determination about meetings scheduled later in April as soon as possible.
We are thankful that development projects continue to move forward even while our community is facing public health challenges. The SSCRPC staff are proud to be a part of that process. As we look forward to April, we are investigating various options that can be temporarily implemented including the possibility of holding “virtual” meetings should there be a need for the SSCRPC to take formal action on a pending development.
In the meantime, staff will be working from home, and checking email and voicemail regularly to address any immediate needs. We hope that you and your loved ones remain safe and healthy during these challenging times.
- In order to slow the spread of COVID-19 and following the recommendations of State and Federal authorities, SATS has cancelled the April, 2020 Technical and Policy Committee meetings. We will continue to monitor the situation and will contact all parties when regular meetings will resume. In the meantime, if you have any questions for SATS, please contact Shannan Karrick or Jason Sass.
- Work has begun on the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan. The plan is our opportunity to identify the opportunities and priorities for the future transportation network in Springfield and the surrounding area. Our goal is to envision a transportation network that can be used by everyone, regardless of age, ability, and socioeconomic status. If you'd like to have your voice heard, please fill out the LRTP public survey. It's your opportunity to tell us what you'd like to see for Springfield.
- Sangamon County has a new transit option. If you live outside the Springfield Urbanized Area (check map for eligibility), you can call Sangamon-Menard Area Region Transit (SMART). SMART covers rural areas of Sangamon County, providing door-to-door service. Call SMART at (217) 679-5009 between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm to schedule a ride. More information can be found on the SMART website or SMART FaceBook page.
- It's easier than ever to get around Springfield. SMTD is now on Google Transit. Google Transit allows you to use your computer, smartphone, or tablet to find the easiest way to take the bus anywhere you want to go in Springfield. You can use google transit on your computer by going to Google Maps. Just enter you location and destination, ask for directions, and choose the "bus" symbol to find the locations of your nearest stop and directions on which route to take to your destination. More info about Google Transit and other items can be found on the SMTD YouTube page.
The Springfield Area Transportation Study (SATS)
The SATS Technical and Policy Committees hold regularly scheduled monthly meetings at the offices of the Springfield-Sangamon County Regional Planning Commission.
The Planning Commission maintains an archive of SATS meeting minutes. These items will remain in the web archive for at least one year.
Other SATS Committees
Multi-Use Trails Jurisdictions Committee
The Multi-Use Trails Jurisdictions Committee is tasked to develop and implement strategies that will create a consistent experience throughout the trail network, and meets on the third Wednesday of every month.
SATS Communities Committee
The SATS Communities Committee was formed to formalize the relationship between the SATS Technical and Policy Committee members and the smaller communities within the SATS planning area. The Committee meets quarterly, on the last Wednesday of the month.
- Meeting schedule for the SATS Communities Committee
- Agenda for the next SATS Communities Committee meeting (available one week in advance).
Visit our active transportation page to get more information about biking, walking and running in the area or using the services provided by the Sangamon Mass Transit District.
Plans and Publications
Below you will find a number of other plans and publications produced by SATS and the Regional Planning Commission
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2020-2023
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2019-2022
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2018-2021
Long Range Transportation Plan 2040
Documents pertaining to the impacts of High Speed Rail in the Springfield Area.
Ride Illinois - www.rideillinois.org
Springfield Mass Transit District - www.SMTD.org
Google Maps - maps.google.com
National Safety Council - www.mycardoeswhat.org
Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act - FHWA website
Please direct any transportation planning related questions or comments to Jason Sass.