- Work has begun on the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan. The plan is our opportunity to identify the opportunities and priorities for the future transportation network in Springfield and the surrounding area. Our goal is to envision a transportation network that can be used by everyone, regardless of age, ability, and socioeconomic status. If you'd like to have your voice heard, please fill out the LRTP public survey. It's your opportunity to tell us what you'd like to see for Springfield.
- Sangamon County has a new transit option. If you live outside the Springfield Urbanized Area (check map for eligibility), you can call Sangamon-Menard Area Region Transit (SMART). SMART covers rural areas of Sangamon County, providing door-to-door service. Call SMART at (217) 679-5009 between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm to schedule a ride. More information can be found on the SMART website or SMART FaceBook page.
- It's easier than ever to get around Springfield. SMTD is now on Google Transit. Google Transit allows you to use your computer, smartphone, or tablet to find the easiest way to take the bus anywhere you want to go in Springfield. You can use google transit on your computer by going to Google Maps. Just enter you location and destination, ask for directions, and choose the "bus" symbol to find the locations of your nearest stop and directions on which route to take to your destination. More info about Google Transit and other items can be found on the SMTD YouTube page.
The Springfield Area Transportation Study (SATS)
The SATS Technical and Policy Committees hold regularly scheduled monthly meetings at the offices of the Springfield-Sangamon County Regional Planning Commission.
The Planning Commission maintains an archive of SATS meeting minutes. These items will remain in the web archive for at least one year.
Other SATS Committees
Multi-Use Trails Jurisdictions Committee
The Multi-Use Trails Jurisdictions Committee is tasked to develop and implement strategies that will create a consistent experience throughout the trail network, and meets on the third Wednesday of every month.
SATS Communities Committee
The SATS Communities Committee was formed to formalize the relationship between the SATS Technical and Policy Committee members and the smaller communities within the SATS planning area. The Committee meets quarterly, on the last Wednesday of the month.
- Meeting schedule for the SATS Communities Committee
- Agenda for the next SATS Communities Committee meeting (available one week in advance).
Visit our active transportation page to get more information about biking, walking and running in the area or using the services provided by the Sangamon Mass Transit District.
Plans and Publications
Below you will find a number of other plans and publications produced by SATS and the Regional Planning Commission
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2020-2023
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2019-2022
Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Fiscal Years 2018-2021
Long Range Transportation Plan 2040
Documents pertaining to the impacts of High Speed Rail in the Springfield Area.
Ride Illinois - www.rideillinois.org
Springfield Mass Transit District - www.SMTD.org
Google Maps - maps.google.com
National Safety Council - www.mycardoeswhat.org
Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act - FHWA website
Please direct any transportation planning related questions or comments to Jason Sass.