The County Engineer administers the County Highway Department which constructs and maintains 256 miles of county highways and 71 bridges in Sangamon County. The County Highway engineering department prepares road and bridge construction plans and maps of Sangamon County. They also provide information on road plans and right-of-way. The highway department is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all county highways including the following services:
- Right-of-way mowing and cleaning
- Drainage improvement and maintenance
- Inspection and repair of bridges
- Pavement repair, sweeping and snow removal
- Sign installation and repair
- Paint striping
- Establishment and posting of speed limits
Permits to allow oversize or overweight vehicles to use county highways are issued by this office. Businesses or residences that wish driveway access or roadway access to a county highway must contact this office for the appropriate permit or installation.
Upon request, the department provides advice and assistance to the 25 township road districts covering the 1,053 miles of highways and 178 bridges under township jurisdiction. The township highway commissioners must obtain approval from the County Engineer for the installation of any traffic control devices.
The County Engineer or his representative serves on the Sangamon County subdivision committee and must approve public improvements within the county's subdivision jurisdiction. Additionally, the County Engineer serves on the Springfield Area Transportation Study Technical Committee which oversees the distribution of federal program funds throughout the municipal planning area and county. The County Highway Department seeks state and federal funds for county and township highways and bridges and administers the motor fuel tax program for the county as well as the townships.
- Maintenance and Repair of Roadways Under County Jurisdiction
- Maintenance and Repair of Ditches Along County Highways
- Maintenance of Roadway Signage Along County Highways
- Maintenance of 911 Addressing Signs Countywide
- Permits -- Overweight or Oversize Vehicles
- Permits -- Driveway Access
- Permits -- Utilities within County Highway Rights-of-way