“As your Sangamon County Auditor, I strive to be the Taxpayers’ Watchdog, diligently working to serve you. Appointed by the County Board to serve as Auditor in June, 2015 and elected by the citizens to a four–year term in November, 2016, it is my goal to ensure honest, efficient and responsive services to the citizens of Sangamon county.”
Sangamon County Auditor
The County Auditor's Office has the responsibility of monitoring all internal financial operations of the county and by statute is the general accountant of the county and keeper of its general accounts.
Duties of the County Auditor
- Auditing all claims against the county and recommending payment by dated signature.
- Collecting, analyzing, and preserving statistical and financial information with respect to the cost of operations of the various county departments and facilities.
- Auditing the receipts of all county officials and departments.
- Maintaining a continuous internal audit of the operations and financial records of the officials, agents, or divisions of the county.
- Auditing the inventory of all real and personal property owned by the county and under the control and management of the various officials and departments of the county.
- Maintaining a file of all contracts entered into by the County Board and all authorized county officials.
- Reporting quarterly to the County Board on the entire financial operation of the county and notifying the general public of the availability of such reports.
- Handling all workers' compensation cases and reports of injury.
- Acting as ex-officio member of the Finance Committee as they are mandated in an advisory capacity to the County Auditor.
- Independent review and approval of 100% of County financial expenditures
- Development of the annual Countywide operating budget totaling approximately $110 million
- Design and implementation of new, state of the art Financial Management system (in process)
- Biannual audit and monitoring of over 7,000 fixed assets totaling over $100 million assigned to 35 County departments
- Evaluated and selected a new Certified Public Accounting firm to conduct Countywide external financial and performance audit to ensure integrity of the external audit function
- Administer insurance and surety bonding programs in support of Countywide enterprise risk management
- Special projects supporting the Sangamon County Board and the County Administrator
- Updated Countywide Policies and Procedures related to:
- Travel Control
- Property Control
- Grant Management
- Credit Card Usage
- Implemented County procurement guidelines in compliance with revised federal selection and award requirements
- Implemented electronic recycling program to remove obsolete equipment from County property control inventory records in an efficient and environmental means
If you are aware of any specific instances of inappropriate use of Sangamon County resources, please call 217-535-3125 (available 24 hours a day) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All information will be held in the strictest confidence. Additionally, please use the telephone line and/or email address to suggest better, more efficient ways that Sangamon County government might utilize in providing service to citizens.